Hospice and Palliative nursing is a specialized nursing which takes care of patients who are in the end of their lives. Some of people who have family with this issue surely want to be close with them almost 24 hours, so that is why mostly, hospice and palliative care nursing is done outside of hospital. Hospice and Palliative care nurses perform treatment, pain management for the dying patients, and support their families to be ready for the worst condition that may suddenly happened towards the patients. They are also saddle with the patients’ life to be at least more comfortable and relaxed from the pain although it may not help them a lot. Nurses who are willing to help these kinds of patient are sincerely helpful for the patients to face their final days and the family to be able to face sudden loss of their family. Therefore, for the nurses who wish for being able to give their best service for this life issue, they are highly suggested to take hospice and palliative care nursing certification.
This hospice and palliative care nursing certification will later certify the nurses of hospice and palliative care. This certification is a voluntary path of hospice and palliative care nurses to going through some courses or program then after that, eligible to take the hospice and palliative care nursing certification exam to be awarded the certificate. Obtaining the certificate will make the hospice and palliative care nurses the ability to provide some beneficial contributions:
- Certified hospice and palliative care nurses are entrusted with patients who have estimated life expectancy of 6 months or less.
- Hospice and palliative care nurses have various setting of work place so they can take care of inpatient and outpatient patients.
- They are able to distinguish the medication or health treatment towards physical dependence, tolerance, and addiction.
- Hospice and palliative care nurses are knowledgeable and authorized to administer sedation towards the terminally ill patients to relieve intractable pain, suffering, or physical symptoms such as, dyspnea or agitation.
- The hospice and palliative care nurses able to demonstrate their treatment across the healthcare dealing with complication of other health issue due to the immobility of the patients.
- They are capable to service the patients with some other nursing specialties such as home health care and wound management come during the daily treatment of the patient.
May almost every nurses are willing to do this noble nursing but they are not ready yet for it. Thus, Hospice and palliative nursing certification try to support to get their self get together in best way.